Historical Civil War Sites Near Manassas
Henry Hill Visitor Center
Located on Sudley Road less than one mile from the hotel, Henry Hill Visitor Center offers exhibits and interpretation regarding the First Battle of Bull Run, including civil war era uniforms, weapons, field gear and an electronic battle map. The center offers the orientation film "Manassas: End of Innocence," as well as a bookstore.
Manassas National Battlefield Park
The park, located north of Manassas, in Prince William County, Virginia, preserves the site of two major American Civil War battles — the First Battle of Bull Run on July 21, 1861, and the Second Battle of Bull Run, which was fought between August 28 and August 30, 1862. The peaceful Virginia countryside bore witness to clashes between the armies of the North (Union) and the South (Confederacy), and it was there that Confederate General Thomas J. Jackson acquired his nickname "Stonewall."
Stone House/Stone Bridge
The house was used as a hospital during both battles. It is located near the intersection of Sudley Road and Lee Highway.
The bridge, which the Union retreated across after both battles, crosses just north of Lee Highway at the Fairfax-Prince William County line.
The opening phase of the First Battle of Bull Run, Matthews Hill is located off of Sudley Road.
The Unfinished Railroad Grade
Location where "Stonewall" Jackson deployed his men before the second battle after capturing Union Major General John Pope's supply depot. Located off of Featherbed Lane.
The Deep Cut
Where John Pope launched the bulk of his attacks against the unfinished railroad grade. It is located off of Featherbed Lane, before you reach the Railroad Grade.