Brickton: The Story Behind the Name
The first residents of these gentle rolling lands were the Potawatomi Indians. The name "Potawatomi" means "People of the Place of Fire." After their departure under terms of the Chicago Treaty of 1833, Yankee settlers from New England and upstate New York began trickling in and laying out their farms around the Des Plaines River. Most prominent among these early settlers was Mancel Talcott. He built a log cabin for his family and a bridge over the river; and served as the first postmaster.
In 1854 George Penny opened his brickworks company using the clay along the Des Plaines River. When the Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lac Railroad (later the Chicago & North Western) began running shortly afterward, Penny arranged to have the trains stop by building his own station. The new community that grew up around the station was informally known as Pennyville. That is until Penny himself suggested the name Brickton.
By 1873 the population of Brickton was 405. At that time the brick pits began to be worked out. When the residents chose to incorporate that year, the village was renamed Park Ridge. From this early history of these gentle rolling lands and the beginning of United States of America the restaurant draws its name and inspiration.