Welcome to The Liberty, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Boston
Authentic experiences await in Boston, MA
The Liberty, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Boston blends history, sophistication and hometown warmth—the ideal place for a quintessentially Boston experience. Located at the foot of Beacon Hill, our hotel is steps away from outdoor fun on the Esplanade and posh shopping along Charles Street. A national historic landmark and architectural gem built in 1851, this refined 298-room hotel originated as the storied Charles Street Jail. Today, our prominent location showcases sweeping views of the Boston city skyline and the Charles River, along with five distinct food and beverage venues and 14,000 square feet of meeting space. Reserve your stay at The Liberty Hotel and delight in our rich history, unique architecture and a team of passionate New England natives, ready to create an unrivaled guest experience in Boston, MA.
Each of the 298 rooms and suites at The Liberty represent the ultimate union of historic influence and contemporary design. Our magnificent Ebersol Suite provides a panoramic view of Boston, which can be enjoyed from any room in the suite or from the 300 square feet open-air patio.
Luxury Accommodations in Beacon Hill
The Liberty, a national historic landmark and architectural gem built in 1851, is the imaginative transformation of the storied Charles Street Jail into a 298-room luxury hotel.
Luxurious Rooms & Suites
But don’t worry, these days, the doors lock from the inside only. But with rooms this luxurious, we can’t guarantee that you’ll ever want to leave.
Located at the foot of Beacon Hill, The Liberty Hotel is an imaginative transformation of the storied Charles Street Jail, a national historic landmark and architectural gem built in 1851. Beacon Hill is one of Boston's most charming neighborhoods; its architecture is reflective of old colonial Boston, consisting of brick row houses, decorative ironwork, brick sidewalks and gas lamps.
The Liberty, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Boston
215 Charles Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 02114
Meetings at The Liberty
Located at the foot of Boston’s historic Beacon Hill, The Liberty Hotel infuses enchanting architecture with versatile event space ensuring that your wedding, private event, or meetings are limited only by your imagination.
Did you know?
- Once home to some of Boston’s legendary inmates, now the building is home to a more enthusiastic and appreciative audience. Within the main building, there are 18 guest rooms, as well as meeting rooms, a grand ballroom and a restaurant and bar. Across “The Yard” and adjacent to a historical gallery of images and tales from the previous 150 years, a 16-story tower houses 280 guest rooms, many with expansive views of Boston.
- Renovated in 2007, the interior design reflects a passionate commitment to authenticity while a more playful attitude defines its day-to-day style. The jail cells present in the aptly-named restaurant, CLINK, are now cozy nooks for dining and do not disturb signs are wisely worded “solitary.”
- In 1991, Massachusetts General Hospital acquired the obsolete property and sought proposals for its reuse, requiring that significant elements of the building be preserved.
- In 2001, Carpenter & Company was designated the developer of the project and entered into a lease agreement with MGH for the land and the jail itself.
- Bryant had initially drafted a dramatic cupola, designed to bring further light and air into the rotunda. Unfortunately, it was a focal point that, at the time of the building’s construction, was reduced in size to save money. In 1949, it was removed altogether. In one of many restoration decisions, the cupola was painstakingly rebuilt based on Bryant’s original design.
- The transformation of the site into a hotel is the work of a team of designers and architects collaborating with historians and conservationists from the Massachusetts Historical Commission, the Boston Landmarks Commission, the National Park Service and the Boston Redevelopment Authority to ensure that the end result is a careful balance between preservation and dynamic new use. This National Historic Landmark building is one of the country’s most stunning and inspired “reuse” developments and sits at the foot of Boston’s historic Beacon Hill neighborhood overlooking the Charles River and the city skyline.
Delight in personalized service at The Liberty, a Luxury Collection Hotel. Let our team be at your service, from baseball tickets to dinner reservations. We will help make your stay in Boston unforgettable.
Fashionably LATE Thursdays
Fashionably LATE brings Boston’s fashion scene to life. Each Thursday at 10PM, our rotunda lobby turns into an interactive fashion show, featuring live music from DJ Frank White. Admission is complimentary.
Gallery Night Tuesdays
Join us for a night of art featuring local artists. Tuesdays at 6-8:30PM, admission is complimentary.
The Liberty Hotel has a Destination Fee of $25 per night which includes the following:
- Wireless Internet Access
- 24-Hour Fitness Facility with Chilled Towels and Fresh Apples
- Sparkling Wine Welcome Beverage at Check In
- Morning Coffee Station in Lobby
- Priority Access to Guest-Only Catwalk lounge, and Alibi Bar
- Daily Newspapers in Lobby
- Fresh Apples in Lobby
- Bicycle Rental (seasonal)
- Kayak Rental (seasonal)
- Shoe Shine Service
- Entrance to all Liberty Affairs, including:
- Major Mondays (live blues music at The Liberty Bar)
- Gallery Night Tuesdays (art exhibition in the lobby)
- Whole Note Wednesdays (live jazz music at The Liberty Bar)
- Yappier Hour (seasonal “canines and cocktails” mix-and-mingle event in The Yard)
- Fashionably LATE Thursdays (Thursday night Fashion show featuring local Boston designers)
- Beat Weekends (live sounds from Boston’s top DJs at The Liberty Bar on Friday and Saturday nights)
- Saturday morning yoga classes taught by instructors from Equinox
Drawn to the building’s dramatic spatial qualities, the team tapped Bryant’s original architectural drawings to ensure adherence to his creative vision for the cruciform-shaped building. Owing much of its character to the powerful Romanesque and Renaissance forms used in its design, the building consists of an octagonal central building featuring four circular wood “ocular” windows and four radiating wings, each with large three-story arched windows highlighted by articulated wedge-shaped, stone “voussoirs” characteristic of French design. At the time, the windows were thought to yield light “four times as great as that in any prison yet constructed.”
The preserved jail cell facades within CLINK., The Liberty Hotel's signature restaurant, and wrought-iron work on the windows are just two examples of preservation. The jail’s former exercise yard is now a private, beautifully landscaped courtyard that takes its among the beloved “hidden gardens” of the Beacon Hill neighborhood.
Attention to Detail
To that end, in a modern counterpoint to the building’s exterior, the hotel’s stylish reception desk is crafted of ebonized wood with lacquered stenciled patterns reminiscent of 1850’s embroidery work; carpets recall the old-fashioned crewel work of New England, enlarged and contemporized; and American colonial prints in historic colors such as maroon, grey and purple, creating an updated take on a traditional look.
The interior design team was tasked with infusing the hotel with a distinctive personality that honors the building’s rich history while imparting contemporary vibrancy.
Striking Historical Charm
Finally, exposed brick walls and a striking wrought iron chandelier add visual interest to the lobby while underscoring a commitment to historic and understated materials.
Check-in: 4:00 pm
Check-out: 11:00 am
Smoke Free Property
Waiver required/$100.00 Non refundable Pet cleaning Fee per room per stay.
Non-refundable pet fee Per Stay: $100
Maximum pet weight: 40lbs
Accepts: Credit Cards
Concierge desk service
Property has elevators
Languages spoken by staff:
For more information about the physical features of our accessible rooms, common areas or special services relating to a specific disability please call +1 617-224-4000
Property has elevators
Service Animals are Welcome
Entrance to On-Site Business Center is Accessible
Entrance to On-Site Fitness Center is Accessible
Main Entrance is Accessible
Meeting Spaces are Accessible
On-Site Restaurants are Accessible
Room and Suites Access through the Interior Corridor
Adjustable Height Hand-Held Shower Wand
Alarm Clock Telephone Ringers
Bathtub Grab Rails
Close Caption TV
Deadbolts on Guest Room and Suites Doors
Electronic Room Key
Flashing Door Knockers
Guest Room and Suites Doors Self-Closing
Hearing Accessible Rooms and/or Kits
Lever Handles on Guest Room Doors
Lowered Deadbolts on Guest Room Doors
Lowered Electrical Outlets
Lowered Night Guards on Guest Room Doors
Lowered Viewports in Guest Room Doors
Mobility accessible rooms
Non-slip Grab Rails in the Bathroom
Room Windows Open
Safety Chains and/or Latches on Guest Doors
Secondary Locks on Room Windows
Toilet Seat at Wheelchair Height - Toilet for Disabled
Transfer Showers in Guest Rooms
Viewports in Guest Room and Suites Doors
Carbon Footprint : 45.12 kg per room night
Water Footprint : 720 liters per room night