Our hotel is in the process of modernizing all of our elevators to be fully energy efficient. Even our Historic Banyan Wing elevator, which was the first electric-powered elevator in Hawaii, has been updated to modern times!
Caring for the Environment at
The First Lady of Waikiki
Sustainability is critically important to the Moana Surfrider: as Waikiki's first hotel, the resort has a legacy to its island home. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the resort carefully measures its impact to the environment, and honors its historical past. The resort's iconic Banyan Tree was planted in 1904, and was among the first of Hawaii's rare trees to be placed on the Exceptional Tree List, a Honolulu City and County register. Just like the tree has sheltered birds, animals, and our beloved guests for the past 100 years, our responsibility extends to this land and its inhabitants, ensuring a future of Moana Memories for generations to come.
Take a Trip That Gives Back
3 Easy Ways To Plan a Sustainable Hawaii Trip
Preserve the Environment by Reusing Linens
Guests have the option to forego daily linen changes, and help conserve natural resources including water and electricity.
Pack Reef-Safe Sunscreen
Using reef-safe sunscreen helps preserve the ocean's fragile ecosystem, and helps protect from the sun's UV rays.
GLOBALLY RECOGNIZED FOR SUSTAINABILITY EFFORTS
Sustainability Achievements & Awards
- LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certification, U.S. Green Building Council
- Energy Star certification
- State of Hawaii Green Business Program Award
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Ask our valet drivers about electric vehicle charging for your car, available for a nominal fee.
Buying Local Ingredients
The award-winning culinary team has committed to reaching over 70% local produce, fresh fish, eggs, and poultry by dollar amount, by supporting local purveyors, farmers, and seafood partners.
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Sustainable Events & Meetings at the Moana Surfrider
- Meeting amenities set at stations instead of each seat
- Function spaces are equipped with recycle bins, upon request
- China and glassware instead of disposable at most events
- Air conditioning for function rooms is turned on and off by event schedules
- Onsite and Offsite “Malama Hawaii” Volunteer Activities