Please find below the list of the 12 good rules for the responsible visitor promoted by the municipality:
1. Discover the hidden treasures of Venice in the least visited places to appreciate Venice’s exceptional beauty.
2. Explore the islands in the lagoon and Mainland Venice, participate in events spread throughout the Metropolitan City.
3. Taste the local products and typical Venetian cuisine.
4. Visit the artisans' workshops and learn about the ancient trades that still exist today in Venice.
Choose only original products and do not buy any goods from illegal vendors.
5. Book tours with qualified tourist guides able to recount Venice's thousand-year-old history.
6. Walk on the right, do not stand at any time on bridges, do not even lead bikes by hand.
7. Steps of churches, bridges, wells, monuments and banks of streams, canals etc. are not picnic areas. Please use the public gardens for this necessity.
8. St. Mark's Square is a monumental site and excluding pertinent bars and restaurants, it is forbidden to stand at any time in order to consume food or drink.
9. Venice is a city of art: it is forbidden to camp, walk about in swimwear, dive and swim. The beaches at Lido and Pellestrina can be easily reached.
10. Respect the environment and artistic wealth: do not litter, do not vandalize with graffiti, or padlocks. Do not give food to the pigeons.
11. If you are staying in an apartment or flat, please get informed about the garbage recycling collection.
12. Plan your trip and choose to visit Venice when it is less crowded. Consult the Tourist Report.